Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Tessa!


This is a wonderful day!
One year ago today at 10:59am, the good Lord blessed us with Tessa.


This was the first outfit Tessa wore....this picture was taken August 15, 2008

This is the SAME hat...photo taken August 1, 2009

Talk about a Birthday Hat! I think we'll make this a yearly photo op!
While we are comparing pictures....

This photo was taken September 23, 2008...a month and a half after she was born. Imagine how TINY her hand would have looked if this was taken sooner!
August 1, 2009


A few posts ago I shared the events that led to Tessa’s early arrival so I thought I’d pick up from there and given you an idea of how her life here with us started.

Tessa was born on August 3, 2008 at 25 weeks weighing 1 pound 15 ounces and 13 ½ inches long. We had three wonderful weeks of amazing progress. Though Tessa was so small and under developed she continued to fight and amaze everyone. The doctors kept telling us that we needed to remember that just as we have good days, we can also have bad ones.

About 3 ½ weeks after Tessa was born she got a staph infection that was septic and she took a turn for the worse. She began to retain fluids and in a matter of days she had doubled her weight. Tessa was placed on a high frequency ventilator and more medications than I can remember. To keep her comfortable she was sedated and paralyzed. When her body stopped producing urine we were told that things were at their worst. I began to sleep in the waiting room because I couldn't bare the thought of getting a phone call and having to make a 20 minute drive if her tiny body had finally taken all it could.

During the 9 day “vigil” we were told twice that she probably would not make it through the night. Matter of fact, one day I was paged from the waiting room to come in immediately. When I entered the room it seemed like every doctor and nurse was at her incubator. I walked over and placed her tiny hand in mine and began to silently pray. I told her that I loved her more than she could ever know but if she could no longer fight and the pain was too much to bare, she was free to go and that I would see her again one day. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. Since the day she was born I had been praying that one day she be healed and we could take her home. While I still wanted that and would have given anything for it, at that moment I felt I was being selfish…I did not want her to be in pain and suffer anymore.

It wasn’t long after that, that Tessa began to recover. One by one the medications hanging began to be discontinued and the oxygen support was decreased. She started to pee again and lose the fluids her body had retained. Eventually she was taken off the sedation and paralyzation medications and placed back on the normal ventilator. Once again she had amazed the doctors and nurses. Before long she had graduated to a crib, was placed on a nasal cannula and was moved out of POD 1 into POD 4 and then upstairs. We began to bottle feed her and in no time the word DISCHARGE was mentioned frequently.

On November 19, 2008 we got to take our miracle home. She weighed 6 pounds 3 ounces and was 19 inches long.
Another parent in the hospital once told me to never give up. She said that these babies are fighters they do not know what giving up means; they have never been taught it.

I hope that Tessa’s story gives you hope. Hope that I got reading all of the other success stories. Through all the sleepless nights, the teary eyes, hours in the pump room, hours in the chapel, blood gases and breathing treatments, PICC lines and IVs, the shaved head, the breakfasts, lunches and dinners in the cafeteria, kangarooing, hands on, the x-rays and eye surgery, though I told her to let go if she needed to I never gave up hope.


MIRACLES HAPPEN....WE HAVE PROOF!



MckLinky Blog Hop

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing...and please give her big birthday kisses from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a testimony!!! "Nothing is impossible with God" She is a true miracle - those pictures speak volumes. Tiffany - thank you so much for sharing her story, as it can give anybody who is going through a hard situation -Hope! She is so beautiful and precious!!

    Anna (grannie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday little one! God is so good and love conquers all! I don't know how they do it, being so small and helpless, but preemies have to be the strongest men and women in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now this is a story worth reading...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing that!! much blessings to little tessa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing that! She is a doll

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story brought tears to my eyes! Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was beautiful then and she is beautiful now! :) Happy Birthday Tessa. Did you know August 3rd is the Anniversary of my Mother's death? Perhaps in some cosmic shift of events that is beyond all our capability of understanding is the truth that Tessa had more than one person up there looking out for her that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tears of JOY! Happy birthday Tessa! You DO bring a message of hope every single time I think about you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, hoppin' by to encourage you today! I've got a button for you at my blog http://comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/mcklinky-blog-hop-encouragement.html

    Blessings,
    Deborah

    comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com

    browncouchevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story...Insomnia...so blog reading...and enjoyed your blog and encouragement....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That is amazing! :) Happy (belated) Birthday, Tessa!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was so beautiful. I am sitting here crying. I'm a friend of Jenna's and a fellow "preemie-mom". I was lucky that my boys didn't have many scary moments... but I was always afraid of exactly what you described. Reading what you went through is so moving. God bless you and your little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. miracles do happen - wow what a story, very , very moving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daugther was also born August 2008 weighing 2 pounds 9 ounces. It is amazing what God will put you through to truly know how blessed we are to have our miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a long journey you had to ensure. I am so thankful that everything turned out well and you were able to bring your daughter home. My daughter, Naomi Hope, was born at 28 weeks, 1 lb 12 oz, IUGR, to severe preeclampsia. She survived 35 days. She developed a staph infection staph auresis, similar to what your daughter got. And the infection just took over her small body. She ballooned up too. Didn't look like her. I got that very call that you did, at 3l46 in the morning, the team of doctors and nurses were around her. The doctor had tried the longest on her, and sadly, her body just could not take anymore. So you really do have a miracle right there. God Bless you. I too live in FL but in Ft Lauderdale area!, congrats are your new little blessing! Both of your daughters are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just felt like stopping by and re-reading your story. What a miracle Tessa is! My eyes are filled with happy tears for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer from College Station, TXApril 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

    Hello Tiffany. My names is Jennifer and my family and I are from Texas. I just wanted to say that I just read your story about your little miracle from God and I cried through your whole story. What a beautiful story that touched my heart! I am so happy for you and your beautiful family. I pray that the good Lord continues to bless you and your family with peace, love, and health. I came upon your story while googling birthday party ideas for my little girl who is about to be 1 next month. Children are truly a blessing although they can drive you nuts. =) God Bless! XoXo

    ReplyDelete